Subhead
County Judge Says Ban Will Remain In Place Until County Receives 1 Inch of Rain
RISON - Cleveland County remains under a burn ban after a number of wildfires were reported across the county last week.Cleveland County Judge Jimmy Cummings officially placed the county under a burn ban effective 8 a.m. last Thursday, March 20. The declaration came after an outbreak of wildfires around the county and region last Wednesday.Under a burn ban, outdoor burning is prohibited. In Arkansas, breaking a burn ban is considered unlawful burning, which is as a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $1,000, and imprisonment for up to one year.In addition, should a person fail to control an outdoor fire during a burn ban and that fire burns another person's property, that person starting the fire could be held liable for those damages under state law.As of Wednesday morning, 67 of the state's 75 counties were under a burn ban. The Arkansas Forestry Commission designated the entire state as having "high" fire danger risk.The Forestry Commission risk levels, according to its website, are determined by fuel conditions, drought status and long-term weather forecasts. They are categorized by how easily fires can start and how hard they are to contain. A "high" level indicates fires ignite easily and spread quickly. Unattended brush fires and campfires are likely to escape. Fires may become serious if not attacked early.Cummings said he would like the county to receive at least an inch of rain before lifting the ban. He said the extended period of dry conditions and low humidity has left a dry layer surface that will take a significant amount of moisture to bring it back to safe levels. Overall, Cummings said he could recall eight fires being reported in Cleveland County last Wednesday, most of which were started when persistent high winds knocked over trees or limbs onto power lines causing sparks to light the dry material beneath. Those high winds and very low humidity created ideal conditions for the fires to s...