WOODLAWN - Woodlawn Coach Zach Meyer annonced Tuesday that the Dermott Rams have forfeited both their varsity and junior high games that were scheduled for this Friday, Oct. 14, at the Carl Jones Sports Complex. Both matchups were South Conference games.
Meyer said the Dermott coaching staff informed him Tuesday that due to injuries and some players quitting the team, the varsity team would not be able to compete.
Since the varsity team was unable to make the trip, Dermott forfeited the junior high team game as well. In eight-man football, the junior high teams plays before the varsity teams each Friday.
Meyer said he would try on Wednesday to find a last-minute replacement for the varsity team.
Both the Bears and Junior Bears will pick up South Conference wins due to the forfeits. The varsity team will improve to 6-0 overall and 3-0 in conference play while the junior high will improve to 2-2 overall and 2-1 in conference.
Dermott is in the process of trying to revive a football program that has been dormant since 2010. The Rams won four varsity games over the last six seasons that Dermott fielded a varsity team.
The Rams were only scheduled to play conferences this year and all of those games would be on the road as the school district works to revive Sportsman’s Field at Dermott.
Dermott had played two games so far this season, falling to Strong in 42-20 in the opener and to Spring Hill 34-0.
Woodlawn is scheduled to host Mountain Pine on Friday, Oct. 21, for a game that is shaping up to be a battle for the South Con‐ference lead. The Red Devils are 6-0 overall and 3-0 in league play. Hooten’s Arkansas Football currently has Mountain Pine ranked as the no. 1 team in Class 2A eight-man football while Woodlawn is no. 3.
...